I’ll tell you what, there aren’t many problems that can’t be solved with a hearty bowl of warm cheese sauce. At least that’s what I’m telling myself lately.
I made this cheese sauce for a big ol’ pretzel party I held at The Bakehouse a few weeks back. We went through it. I can’t be sure some people didn’t double dip but really, could you blame them?
The pretzels you might recognize from these Sourdough Everything Pretzel. It’s by go-to recipe but that’s mostly because I try to keep a sourdough starter in my fridge. If you want to get at some soft pretzel action, here’s another recipe that doesn’t require a starter.
Whatever you do… cheese sauce. Mmmmkay, let’s play.
Ok here’s what you’ll need:
- lots of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- butter and flour, for a thickening roux
- whole milk
- and beer! It is beer sauce, afterall. A light beer will be best, a pilsner.
- whole grain mustard and Worchestershire sauce
- salt and coarse black pepper + chili powder and garlic powder.